Project Management Short Course
This is a free, ten week course for students interested in learning the skills and knowledge essential for project management.
It will run as an evening course between 18.00 - 20.00; specific days and dates will be released in the near future. Please look out for further information on your university email and social media.
It is not an accredited course although you will receive a University of Sunderland certificate. This course is a thorough introduction to project a management. For further study you may want to consider the University of Sunderland in London's MSc Project Management.
What to Expect
This ten-part, interactive, programme will equip you with a good working knowledge of the essential processes and language of project management.
You will explore the importance of project management in the workplace and learn day-to-day tips and techniques that lead to successful project outcomes. Specific emphasis will be placed on learning how to use Microsoft Office software tools to assist with common project management tasks. You will also expand your communication and collaboration skills by working in a team to complete a project presentation exercise, which will provide you with content to add to your portfolio.
• Project management terminology, methodology (traditional / waterfall) and the role of Project Manager
• The key documents for project management and how to produce them.
• The definition of project scope (work breakdown structure)
• The fundamentals of estimating, budgeting and planning
• How to produce and update a project schedule (milestones, tasks, Gantt charts, Project Net works and the Critical Path)
• Effective project control, monitoring and reporting during the project life-cycle
• The techniques for risk analysis and risk management
• The effect of project management on third parties
• Common project failures and how to avoid them